Saturday, September 10, 2005

Batman the Animated Series

Citizens,

After reading over the posts, I was surprised to find that Batman never commented upon the great wonder of Batman the Animated Series. I'm sure most of you remember it, the classic beginning, the great griping two part episodes, and Mark Hamil as the Joker. In this super hero's mind, this show was better than Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, and even some aspects of Batman Begins. This show truly looks at Batman as someone keeping their promise to protect gotham, no matter what the cost. The characterization of Robin and Batman's relationship too is great. It's just priceless. In tribute, I have posted a few of my favorite quotes to enrich your lives:

[Holding a picture of his dead wife] Mr. Freeze: I failed you. I wish there were another way for me to say it. I cannot. I can only beg your forgiveness, and pray you hear me somehow, someplace... someplace where a warm hand waits for mine.

The Riddler: My, my, my, can we actually have a brain beneath that pointy cowl of ours?

Batman: Red Claw, a woman?
Red Claw: Do you have a problem with that?
Batman: Not at all. I'm an equal-opportunity crime fighter!

[Discussing Batman over a poker game]
The Joker: He sure gets around for one guy.
Two-Face: Yeah, well that's where you're wrong. I don't think it is one guy.
Killer Croc: Huh?
Two-Face: The way I figure it, Gordon's got a bunch of 'em stashed someplace like a S.W.A.T. team. He wants you to think it's one guy, but...
The Joker: Ah, you're always seeing double.
The Penguin: It's obvious our cowled friend suffered some crime-related trauma when he was younger. Perhaps an over-anxious mugger blew off a piece of his face.
The Joker: Sure, he could be all gross and disgusting under that mask! Uh, no offense, Harv. Two-Face: Just deal.
Killer Croc: Well, you know what I think?
The Joker: Not the robot theory again.
Killer Croc: Well, he could be.

Harley Quinn: Gee, boss, you really know how to put the fun in funeral.

Bruce Wayne: I know it must be very difficult.
Dick Grayson: If only I could have stopped him! I saw him coming out of the tent! I knew he didn't belong there!
Bruce Wayne: I know. You keep thinking, If only I had done something differently. If only I could have... warned them. But there isn't anything you could have done. There isn't anything either of us could have done.
Dick Grayson: Your mom and dad? Does the hurt ever go away?
Bruce Wayne: I wish I could say yes. But it will get better in time. For you. That I promise.

Two-Face: [finishing his "almost got him" Batman story] ... And if it weren't for this blasted coin... I would have got him.
The Joker: Gee, that's too bad, Harv, but I guess you'll always come in second. Anybody else want to go?
Killer Croc: [hits the table] ME! There I was, holed up in this quarry, when Batman came nosing around. He was getting closer... Closer...
Poison Ivy: And...?
Killer Croc: I threw a rock at him!
[everyone stares in dead silence]
Poison Ivy: So, Harvey, when became of the giant penny?
Killer Croc: It was a big rock...
Two-Face: They actually let him keep it!

The Joker: [to Harley, enraged, after she has nearly succeeded in a plan to kill Batman that the Joker had abandoned] But you had to explain it! A joke is't funny if you have to explain it!

The Joker: [singing] Jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg, batmobile lost a wheel, and Joker got away!

[flashback on the Penguin's "almost-got-him" Batman story]
The Penguin: Greetings, Batman! You have taken the bait, as I knew you would. Now, prepare to meet your end, within my Aviary of Doom!
Poison Ivy: [interrupting] Aviary of what?
The Joker: Yeesh, Pengers! How corny can you get?
The Penguin: Fah! Just because you mundane miscreants have no drama in your souls! Anyway, there he was in my av... uh, big birdhouse...

Robin: You were right, y'know, not bringing me along. You knew I'd take it too personally. Batman: It wasn't that, Robin. It wasn't that at all. Zucco's taken so much, caused you so much pain. I couldn't stand the thought that he might... take you, too.
[pause]
Robin: Come on, partner. It's been a long night.

[On a stakeout]
Robin: If I knew it was gonna be this long, I would have brought my homework. You sure about this extortion ring?
Batman: Uh-huh.
Robin: It's been four hours.
Batman: Uh-huh.
Robin: You still think they'll show?
Batman: Uh-huh.
[pause]
Robin: Lucky for me you're such a good conversationalist.

Selina Kyle: You've got to admit there's something between us.
Batman: Yes. It's the law.

D.A. Janet Van Dorn: I see now there's a need for what you do. But I'm still going to work towards a city that doesn't need Batman.
Batman: Me too.

OOF!!,

Robin

No comments: